Monday, June 14, 2010
E-books
The topic of Ebooks and reading devices seems to be entering my life/conversations more and more these days. The number of people that now own a Kindle, Nook, Reader, etc. is steadily climbing. I remember when I graduated college two years ago and got the first generation Kindle for my grad present no one had any idea what a Kindle was/is (including me). Now enthusiastic readers, technology geeks, and the general public all seem to be adding these reading devices to their wish lists. So here's my opinion: eBooks are awesome and the reading devices are so much easier to carry around, but there's nothing that can compare to the feeling of turning a page or the spine crinkling sound when opening a new book. I don't think these companies have yet come up with a great alternative to actually being able to write notes in the margins. It's just not as easy or the same to flip through the pages of a well-loved book and enjoy your self-commentary. I really do believe that all the book worms out there will join together in rebellion if eBooks ever completely replaced print. My other issue with my Kindle is that it's incompatible with the library's Overdrive program. Sadly, I'll have to continue buying eBooks instead of renting/borrowing them.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment